Development Director, Magic Bus USA
Magic Bus USA – TX, CA
SUMMARY OF COMPANY
Magic Bus envisions a world where marginalized young people in India and across Southeast Asia are provided the opportunities to break the cycle of inherited poverty. Our programs support youth through the critical years of secondary education allowing adolescents to successfully transition to young adults by overcoming inherent challenges like limited education, unemployment, and childhood marriage.
We are dedicated to equipping vulnerable young people with essential life skills and employability training that enables them to thrive in their adulthood. Our Childhood to Livelihood approach empowers at-risk youth to complete school, delay the age of marriage, and find dignified work. Since our founding in 1999, we have reached more than 1 million youth and with our recently launched Scale to Significance strategy, we are on track to reach more than 3 million adolescents and young adults by 2027.
If this excites you, read more about joining our growing team in the US!
The Development Director will be responsible for developing strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with a special focus on large multi-year gifts to support the organization. Experience working with board members, HNI, institutional funders, and foundations, is required. While the position is essentially remote, preference will be given to candidates living in Silicon Valley, CA and Houston, TX. This position requires frequent domestic travel, up to 30% of the time, with the possibility of some international travel.
- Draft and oversee the effective implementation of regional development plan to meet annual fundraising goal
- Establish and maintain relationships with current funders and prospects in the region
- Prepare funder proposals (including grant applications), create donor stewardship plans, and identify new funding opportunities in region
- Manage donor stewardship process, ensuring that donors receive proper recognition for their support, timely reporting, engagement with beneficiaries (virtual and in-person), etc.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and board on event related fundraising including galas, golf tournaments, donor cultivation events, etc.
- Specific for galas, responsibilities include securing sponsorships and auction items, communications to the board, coordination of the honorees, volunteer management, etc.
- In collaboration with the Magic Bus India team, manage impact reporting needs for all MBUSA donors under management
- Support the Executive Director with communication and awareness efforts including creation of content for newsletters, PR for events, managing cultivation events, and research for thought leadership opportunities
- Support the National Board in their donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship work
- Serve as one of the staff liaisons to Board and external audiences
- Monitor fundraising trends and adapt strategies accordingly
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8+ years of progressive experience in the nonprofit sector with demonstrated success in fundraising roles from multiple revenue sources
- Experience working with youth serving and international organizations is a plus!
- Donor and prospect management experience is a must including familiarity with CRM system (Salesforce preferred) to track workflow
- Donor engagement and stewardship experience required
- Experience working with board members, HNI, institutional funders, and other high-profile individuals
- Must have a high level of discretion and ethical approach to fundraising
- Self-starter who can operate without direct supervision and is comfortable working with a global team across multiple time zones
- Resourceful, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Ability to multitask, learn quickly, and meet deadlines as needed
- Strong social and emotional intelligence with ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including comfort with public speaking
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Application Suites with a high level of general computer competency
Eligible to work in the US without sponsorship
While we aim to make this a comprehensive job description – duties, responsibilities, and activities may change.
This role is best suited for those with a collaborative and flexible mindset!
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to
race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran
status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.